Ship a Car to or from Puerto Rico
AutoStar Transport Express has the experience to make shipping a car to Puerto Rico easy so you can use your vehicle at your leisure once you get to your tropical destination. Our auto-delivery network gives you everything from trusted quotes, a holistic approach to transportation management, personalized support, and access to our bilingual full-service logistics team.
Our familiarity and practicality will give you a stress-free car shipping journey; including expert advice, and cost-effective recommendations. And, with our auto shipping Quote System, you’ll save time and money thanks to the real and reliable estimates of the actual costs and transit times.
Your Puerto Rico car transport quote (shipping car to pr quote) is just one click away.
Puerto Rico Auto Transport Information
Sometimes you need experts to handle the auto transport for you. With busy schedules, tight deadlines, and multiple shipments, you’re better off having one less important task taken care of by real professionals. Securely request your shipping quote or book service with us directly.
Our Transport Coordinators seamlessly handle all the Maritime Transportation details while providing you the highest level of customer service and communication. Thanks to our strategic partnership with our Maritime Logistics Company, we can secure competitive rates and fast car shipping.
Moving a vehicle to Puerto Rico is easy with AutoStar Transport Express. Please call 888-802-8250 for a free, no-obligation car shipping quote.
Hassle-Free and Fast Car Shipping from Puerto Rico to Mainland
We know how hard it is to arrange all the required documentation to be able to ship your vehicle from Puerto Rico to the Mainland or vice-versa. AutoStar Transport Express can provide assistance on this matter so you don’t have to worry about any paperwork needed, and we can even get your vehicle picked up anywhere on the island and delivered to the port for an additional fee.
It normally takes 2+ weeks for customers to get appointments with the government agencies. Thankfully, our agents in Puerto Rico can get everything done at a faster pace meaning minimal waiting for you and a quicker turnover time to get your vehicle from Puerto Rico to the Continental US.
You can call in for a free car shipping quote and we will be more than happy to assist with any other questions regarding vehicle transportation from Puerto Rico to the Mainland.
Let us handle everything from start to finish.
What is the process of shipping a car to Puerto Rico?
- Pick up: From anywhere in the United States, we can pick up and transport car to Puerto Rico. Most cars are moved using open auto transport. As for exotic cars or high-end vehicles such as Bentley, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc, they are usually packed inside an enclosed car carrier.
- Departure Shipping Ports: AutoStar Transport Express works with one main port in Puerto Rico and two main ports on the mainland. We can bring your vehicle to or from anywhere in the Continental United States to our ports and then connect with our Maritime transport that crosses the sea for shipping a car to Puerto Rico, weekly. All shipping lines depart from:
- Jacksonville, FL
- Eddystone, PA
Remember, you can also arrange to have your vehicle transported to this port from your front door.
- Arrival at the Puerto Rico shipping terminal: Your vehicle will arrive in San Juan, PR. To pick up your vehicle, you must have a valid ID along with sufficient cash to pay for the charges. Please note that Autostar Transport Express only provides transportation from the US to San Juan. Once you’ve been shipped, you’re responsible for paying the fees associated with your destination and import/duty taxes.
Ready to Book your Vehicle Shipment?
Ready to book your Puerto Rico car transport (shipping car to pr)? Get in touch with AutoStar Transport today at 844-445-1450, or request a free quotation below to get a real-time response.
Many of the best beaches in Puerto Rico and around San Juan are all within driving distance of El Yunque National Forest, Camuy River Cave Park, and the Fajardo Bioluminescent Bay.
If you are planning to move to Puerto Rico, it quickly becomes apparent that you need a car to get around. Rental cars are available during hurricane season at a low price of around $15/day but rental rates jumped to $100/day in December. Now The big question is:
How Much Does it Cost to Ship a Car to Puerto Rico?
It typically costs $1,200 to $3,300 to ship a vehicle from the U.S. to Puerto Rico. However, The cost is estimated. The price can vary depending on multiple factors, including the total distance, size and type of vehicle being transported, type of transport, and finally the time of the year.
|To/From||RORO Shipping||Solo Container|
|New York to Puerto Rico||$2100||$3865|
|Colorado to Puerto Rico||$2300||$3945|
|North Carolina to Puerto Rico||$1895||$4150|
|Puerto Rico to Washington||$2500||$4300|
|Puerto Rico to Texas||$1900||$3500|
Prices do not include land transport costs; however, if you desire door-to-door transportation, there will be an additional charge for this service.
Why are we the Best Choice for Puerto Rico Auto Shipping?
- Licensed and bonded: Our company is licensed and bonded with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, and we have over 1,000 5-star positive car shipping reviews from satisfied customers.
- Experienced: 14+ years of experience transporting cars to Puerto Rico.
- Personalized: Our customer service department will provide you with regular tracking updates and in-person support at 888-802-8250.
Latest Puerto Rico Auto Transport Testimonial
These people are really professional, they put the customer first, they keep in touch throughout the process, and aim to please. I saved their info on my contact list for future business. jean
Talk to us
We’ve got transport coordinators ready to answer your questions! Call us at 888-802-8250 if you have any questions regarding moving your car to Puerto Rico. You can also get a free estimate of our services by completing the form at the top of this page.
Documents Required to Ship a Car to Puerto Rico
To ship a vehicle to Puerto Rico, we need documents for Maritime Booking. The Port usually requires extra documents. A list of the different types of documents needed for Puerto Rico auto transport is shown below.
- Proof of bill of lading
- Lien Holder Authorization letter: For leased or financed vehicles, you will need a Lien Holder Authorization letter
- License: A copy of the driver’s license or any photo ID
- Power of attorney: When the owner is absent, a notarized power of attorney letter is required so another person can deliver and pick up the vehicle.
- Corporate Resolution: If the CAR belongs to the company, a copy of the company’s Corporate Resolution confirming the shipment must accompany the affirmation.
Because it’s a U.S. territory, registering a vehicle imported there is easier than it is in other countries. U.S. driver’s licenses are valid in Puerto Rico, but any new car, truck, or motorcycle will need to be registered within three days of arrival.
You can find more information on vehicle registration at the PR DMV.
- Puerto Rico Department of Transportation and Public Works
- Box 41269
- Minillas Station
- San Juan, PR 00940-1269
- (787) 722-2929
Tax and duty on imported vehicles and destination handling charges
You will have to pay taxes on your vehicle when you arrive in Puerto Rico. You will have to pay no less than 5% of the actual cash value of the vehicle in taxes and import duties, depending on the type and age of the vehicle.
We cannot provide specific details on the import taxes, but Hacienda does an inspection and provides the price to pay based on the vehicle’s value, and you can get an estimate on hacienda.pr.gov/arbitrios.
The Department of Hacienda will give you the price of import tax before you ship your car if you give them your VIN number or year/make/model.
Department of Hacienda
- San Juan, 00901
- Tel: (787) 622-0123 (general line) or 787-721-0338 (Office of Excise Taxes, better number)
- P.O. Box 9024140
- San Juan, P.R. 00902-4140
You will need $100-$150 in cash for destination charges. These charges are not included in your quote.
How to Prepare Your Car for Shipping to Puerto Rico
- Turn off the alarm. For better safety, make sure you disable any alarms installed in your vehicle to prevent making enemies with the driver.
- Inspect tire pressure. Inflating or deflating tires is just as dangerous on the road as it is in transport. Under-inflated tires may cause damage. When your tires are properly inflated, you will not experience damage during the loading and unloading process.
- Removing custom accessories. Ensure that any special accessories such as a car spoiler are removed from the vehicle before loading it into the truck.
- Don’t overfill your tank. The vehicle is not being driven, so you don’t need to fill it up before loading. Additionally, a full tank of gas makes your car heavier. A heavier car is a greater risk during shipping. Prepare your vehicle for transport with a quarter tank of gas at most.
- Ensure no leaks exist. Check the undercarriage of your vehicle before it is loaded onto the truck for any leaks. Your vehicle may not be shippable if it has any kind of leak so it’s worth checking before handing the keys to your driver.
- Your car must be locked. You shouldn’t open your vehicle until it is delivered after it is loaded onto the truck.
Who Can Pick Up a Vehicle in Puerto Rico
A friend or relative can pick up the car for you in San Juan. Tell us several days before the sailing so we can update the paperwork. Anyone picking up your car will need a picture ID, a copy of your Title of Ownership, and a NOTARIZED letter of permission to do so. You will be charged by the shipping line if you notify us of any changes after the cargo has been loaded.
Buying a Car Online in the USA and shipping to Puerto Rico
You can buy used cars, new cars, and even salvage titles from many online car buying websites. Cars with salvage titles are accepted in Puerto Rico. You can save a lot of transportation and shipping costs if you purchase a car online close to Jacksonville, FL, or Eddystone, PA. Basically, you want to buy as close to the departure ports as possible to reduce overall shipping costs.
Once you have purchased your car online, contact us so we can pick it up and send it to Puerto Rico for you.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
- How do I make a payment?
The most common payment form is through Zelle and it has daily limits, everything has to be prepaid in order for the vehicle to be released.
- How many days does the transport take to PR?
From PR to the Mainland, vessels sail every Tuesday and arrive on Thursdays. The second vessel sails on Saturdays and arrives on Mondays. Learn more about car shipping times in our “how long does it take to ship a car” article.
- Can AutoStar Transport Express help to do registration paperwork in PR?
AutoStar Transport Express works with a PR agent (Wilder Cruz) who provides the service to assist with any type of documentation on the island. He also provides towing services and can pick up and drop vehicles all over the island.
- How much are the taxes in PR (Puerto Rico)?
We do not have access to government charges which is why AutoStar Transport Express doesn’t provide a price including taxes. Customers can get an estimated price by logging into Hacienda’s webpage.
- Are we allowed to put items in the vehicles?
No, the port is very strict when it comes to shipping anything inside the vehicle. You are not allowed to ship anything inside the vehicle, except for a spare tire.
Got more questions? We’ve answered some of our most frequently asked questions about Puerto Rico car transport to provide more information and tips.
Puerto Rico Auto Shipping Prices For All States of U.S.A.
|State||City||To Puerto Rico||From Puerto Rico|
|Arkansas||Little Rock||$2,100.00 ||$1,900.00
|Iowa||Des Moines||$2,300.00 ||$2,100.00
|Kansas||Kansas City||$2,100.00 ||$1,900.00
|Louisiana||Baton Rouge||$1,895.00 ||$1,695.00
|Missouri||Saint Louis||$2,100.00 ||$1,900.00
|Nevada||Las Vegas||$2,300.00 ||$2,100.00
|New Hampshire||Nashua||$2,300.00 ||$2,100.00
|New Jersey||Newark||$1,985.00 ||$1,785.00
|New Mexico||Alburquerque||$2,100.00 ||$1,900.00
|New York||Albany||$2,200.00 ||$1,900.00
|New York||NYC||$2,100.00 ||$1,800.00
|New York||Long Island||$2,250.00||$1,950.00|
|North Carolina||Charlotte||$1,895.00 ||$1,695.00
|North Dakota||Bismarck||$2,900.00 ||$2,700.00
|Oklahoma||Oklahoma City||$2,100.00 ||$1,900.00
|Rhode Island||Providence||$2,100.00 ||$1,900.00
|South Carolina||Columbia||$1,675.00 ||$1,875.00
|South Dakota||Pierre||$2,575.00 ||$2,375.00
|Utah||Salt Lake City||$2,575.00 ||$2,375.00
|West Virginia||Charleston||$2,000.00 ||$1,800.00
Disclaimer: Prices are estimated and based on small sedans. They are subject to change according to season, market fluctuations, and maritime rates.
Want To Know More?
Call 888-802-8250 for more information about Puerto Rico Auto Shipping or request a free quote.
Is it Really Expensive to Ship a Car to Puerto Rico?
For anyone who needs a vehicle shipped, we have professional, affordable, and convenient auto moving options. Puerto Rico is an island–or more correctly, a collection of small islands–and the only way to transport a vehicle there is by ship or air freight.
Boats can transport several vehicles at once (more affordably!), whereas air freight is usually reserved for high-value, luxury, rare, or antique vehicles.
- Roll-on/roll-off (RORO): RORO vessels generally carry vehicles in controlled climates. On the ocean, this method is the most cost-effective method for transporting vehicles.
- Solo container: If you have a luxury or classic car you want to protect, you can get your own 20-foot container. This is the safest and most expensive option.
- Container sharing: Your car can be parked inside a shipping container. An average 40-foot container can hold four cars. It divides the cost of shipping an automobile to and from Puerto Rico.
Should we Ship, or Buy a New Car on the Island?
Cars are more expensive in Puerto Rico since the car dealerships in Puerto Rico include the excise tax in their prices the same goes for used cars. New automobiles in Puerto Rico cost between 30 and 40% more than on the mainland.
Can I ship my car to Puerto Rico If it is Financed?
Typically, there’s no problem shipping a car with an auto loan. However, if you are traveling to Puerto Rico, a notarized letter will definitely be required. It needs to state that we can ship it there.
Even though you have the registration for your financed vehicle, you don’t own it. They have final authority over the vehicle since they own it.
When you are ready, have verified with the lender, the next step is to get an estimate for auto shipping. After that, we’ll take care of the rest. We will get your vehicle to its new home quickly and safely.
Popular Routes to Puerto Rico
Our Successful Puerto Rico Car Transport Reviews
Here is what our Puerto Rico car shipping service is said to be like.