U-Haul auto transport involves renting a trailer (or truck and trailer) to self-transport your vehicle. This can involve local travel or moving across state lines. Because of its ease of use, U-Haul is a great option for DIYers. It’s a good option since you can return the equipment at any U-Haul location. Pricing is also low with the first-day costs starting at just $19.
This method only works if you can pull your car safely yourself. Ideally, you should be able to:
- Take a left or right turn to make room for the trailer and car.
- Know how much extra room you will need to slow down while towing heavier loads.
- Have experience towing a car in bad conditions.
- Prepare yourself to deal with road hazards and emergencies.
- U-Haul offers self-transport car trailer rentals (local & long-distance), starting at $19, but requires confident towing skills.
- Inexperienced drivers face safety risks & potential higher costs due to equipment limitations.
- Using an auto shipper provides door-to-door convenience & eliminates risks, possibly for a similar price.
Is U-Haul auto transport expensive?
So, let’s assume you can make the drive in a day with a trailer able to tow a 14′ vehicle. Costs will be $19.95, $29.95 for a vehicle that is 15-17′ long, and $39.95 for vehicles with a maximum length of 26 feet.
U-Haul says it offers trailer rental rates starting at $14.95, but the cost varies for long distance towing based on what gear you need, how far the move is, and how long you require.
There may be some trailers that can’t be rented long-distance, which means you may need different equipment than planned – which could cost more.
Get the number one car shipping service to ship your vehicle anywhere in the USA.
How big are U-Haul’s auto and motorcycle trailers?
- Tow Dolly: Max load allowed is 3,450 lbs. A trailer with a front-wheel-drive vehicle and a weight of 3,900 pounds can be towed. Towing a rear-wheel-drive vehicle. Dimensions for this trailer aren’t provided by U-Haul.
- Auto Transport Trailer: The maximum load capacity of this trailer is 5,290 pounds. The deck dimensions are 148″ x 79.25″ x 19″ (LWH). It includes a 77.5″ long ramp for loading your vehicle.
- Motorcycle Trailer: U-Haul motorcycle trailers have inside dimensions of 7’8″ x 3’9.5″ (LW) and can carry up to 1,600 pounds.
All measurements are approximate at U-Haul, so you may receive a different trailer.
Can I U-Haul my car safely?
That depends. You can pull anything if you have been pulling trailers for some time. U-Haul has a good reputation for being reliable and taking care of their equipment.
Know that not every vehicle at a location can be used for one-way moves. Many of them are for local use only. It means they could not be dropped off anywhere else except there because they belong only to that area. It is therefore important to check. Availability can be limited at certain times of the year. Don’t forget to make a reservation in advance.
If you have experience?
For those who have been using trailers for a while, you could very well be an expert. It may mean you are pulling anything, backing up, and always angling exactly. In any case, you are fully responsible for any mishaps on the road. All in all, you do not need to make the mistake. This will ruin your move and your vehicle.
If you don’t have experience?
Zero experience means you will take a bigger risk. Towing vehicles has a lot to do with common sense. However, simple things can be problematic.
Reversing can be a challenge because the trailer can veer in a different direction as the hitch acts as a hinge. In these cases, using car shippers is useful.
You can find more details on the U-Haul Auto Transport Rental page if you’d like to rent a trailer.
Ship your car with door-to-door transport, the most convenient method for vehicle transportation.
It’s Safer to Use an Auto Shipper
It is usually beneficial to use a car shipper in most cases to save time and eliminate risks. A road trip can bring about any number of unexpected events. Vehicle Shippers will pick up your vehicle at your door and deliver it the same way. You don’t need to travel yourself. If you want your car to arrive safely and professionally, perhaps you won’t spend much more.
Ship your car with ease.
How AutoStar Transport Express can help you?
When renting a trailer, there are many things to consider – picking up and dropping off a vehicle, extra fuel costs, and how much room is available for your vehicle to move. Delivering vehicles with AutoStar Transport Express will take care of all that and more. In addition, you retain total control over your move without driving!
It works like this: we pick up your car from your doorstep and deliver it to the destination. It’s that easy! Car Shipping Rates are based on where you’re moving from and to, the move date, type and size of the vehicle, and current fuel prices!
Get a free quote online or call us at 888-802-8250.