You may have questions about Hawaii’s car transportation. Below are answers to some of the most common questions about Hawaii car transportation. If your question isn’t listed, please contact us. One of our Transportation Coordinators will be happy to assist you.
Hawaii Car Shipping FAQs
1. How much does it cost to ship a car to Hawaii? A vehicle typically costs $1,650 to $3,100 to ship from the U.S. mainland to Hawaii and $1,150 to $2,600 for shipping a car from Hawaii to the mainland. Visit our blog to learn more about how we determine your car shipping rates.
2. How far in advance do I need to book?
We prefer to work with about a week of lead time. If your vehicle is ready to go, we can start the process today.
3. Are there any hidden charges? No – the quote includes any shipping costs associated with transporting your vehicle. The quote includes pickup, delivery, insurance, and taxes.
4. Are we allowed to put items in the vehicles?
No, the port is very strict when it comes to shipping anything inside the vehicle. You are not allowed to ship anything inside the vehicle, except for the spare tire.
5. Is there a tax associated with importing and exporting vehicles to and from Hawaii?
6. How is the vehicle shipped to or from Hawaii?
The vehicles are loaded by Ro/Ro method, roll-on roll-off. Vehicles are inside the shipping vessels, below deck, so they’re not exposed to the sun and saltwater.
7. How can I pay?
You can make your payment with us via credit card/debit card, ACH direct deposit, wire transfer (ACH), and Paypal.
8. How long does it take to ship a car to Hawaii?
It can take anywhere from 7 to 20 days to ship a car from Hawaii to the mainland. Click here to view the complete schedule for shipping cars to or from Hawaii.
9. Can we transport household goods or any other cargo (boxes, personal goods, etc.) besides the vehicle?
Nope, the rules for shipping a car to Hawaii are pretty strict on this and all personal items must be removed. Except for two baby seats, properly strapped to the back seat.
10. Is anyone allowed to pick up the vehicle in Hawaii?
We need to be advised of who will pick up the vehicle at the port if it’s not the owner because we need to assign that person as consignee on the paperwork.
11. Can the vehicle be packed, or does it have to be completely empty? Does the paperwork in the glovebox need to be taken out as well?
COMPLETELY EMPTY, it’s better to take out the paperwork as well to avoid any issues.
12. Does the vehicle need plates, or can they be taken out? Does it need to be registered in the Mainland and in Hawaii?
Vehicles need to be registered or have temporary plates. They can be registered anywhere. Click here to learn how to register a car in Hawaii.
13. How can I track my vehicle?
Once we confirm the transport for you, we’ll send you an email with a link where you can track your vehicle or you can always give us a shout and we’ll let you know where it is!
14. Do we need any special Documents To Ship Our Car, Motorcycle, or Truck to or from Hawaii?
There is no special paperwork required to ship a vehicle to Hawaii from the mainland except for the VIN number, the color of the vehicle, and the state of registration. However, when vehicles are shipped from Hawaii to the mainland, owners must submit the following documentation:
- Lien Holder Authorization letter: For leased or financed vehicles, you will need a Lien Holder Authorization letter. Note: Notarized letters are only valid for 30 days from the date of issue.
- Power of attorney: When the owner is absent, a notarized power of attorney letter is required so another person can deliver and pick up the vehicle. Corporate Resolution: If the CAR is the company’s property, it must be accompanied by a copy of the company’s Corporate Resolution which confirms the shipment.
15. Can I transport my oversized vehicle to Hawaii?
18. Can I move high-value, luxury, or antique vehicles to Hawaii?
Yes, AutoStar Transport Express offers leading expertise in shipping high-value, luxury, and antique vehicles at competitive rates.
19. Are there any discounts on Hawaii car transport?
We offer a Military discount.
Want to Know More?
Our Hawaii car shipping FAQs provide answers to the most common questions. Contact us if your question is not listed in our frequently asked questions.